cpOD - Control Point Occupancy Detector
The cpOD is a low cost, DCC only, current sensing block occupancy detector for model railroads. It is intended to be inserted inline with one block feeder wire and provide a signal indicating a track block has current flowing in it. The Occupied signal is logic low and can be tied to a computer input port or a current limited LED. cpOD comes in two configurations:
cpOD with 3 position screw terminal block
cpOD-M with 5 pin Molex connector for use with an ODMB or ODX4 motherboard
cpOD-M U_install comes with a loose sensing coil, you insert a 4.5" piece of 22 GA through the coil and solder the coil and wire in. We offer this as a low cost alternative at a time of rising labor costs and new tariffs.
Over 2,000 sold!
- Small footprint, 2" x 1 1/8" x 1 1/4" high
- May be placed close to the detected track section
- 5 - 12 VDC operation
- Single turn track feeder wire through toroid coil
- Sensitivity adjustment with onboard LED indication
- Vacant block hold timeout
- cpOD-M version is pin compatible with the Dr. Chubb's ODMB and MRCS's ODX4, ODX8 motherboards
- Supports up to 60A of track current
- Draws 5mA @ 5V
- Open drain output sinks up to 115mA @ up to 48V
- Surface Mount Technology (SMT) for smaller footprint
This circuit was designed by Mark Schutzer, who retains all rights, cpOD is not available as a bare board and design information has not been published.
We are pleased to offer a 3D printed bracket, intended for cpOD-ST installations where quick removability and harnessing is desired. The bracket was designed by Paul and David Bradt who wrote "Arduino Model Railroad Animation" and other books.
From time to time we have used cpODs as a result of returns from system reconfigurations and layout dismantlements. See the purchase page for price and availability.
Click here for cpOD Product Brochure
Click here for cpOD Installation Instructions